lynx-dev

lynx-dev "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host"

From: Clair Wilson
Subject: lynx-dev "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host"
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:24:52 -0500 (EST)

Dear lynx support and Ellen

I wonder whether anyone could help with this problem :

We have AIX 3.25 running on an rs6000. Lynx has been working great for
years. Recently I upgraded aix with IBM's year 2000 updates in order to
make aix y2k compliant.
As soon as I did that, we could no longer use lynx. Every time we try to
access a remote site, we get message :

"Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host"

I upgraded lynx from 2.5 to 2.8 in hopes that the problem might be solved.
However, that had no effect on the problem. It appears that one of the
fixes which got applied to aix from IBM's y2k fix tape caused this problem.

All the fixes were successfully applied, and the fixes appear to have made
aix 3.25 y2k compliant.
Has anyone else experienced this problem ? Does anyone know what I might
do in order to make lynx useable again ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I noticed that Ellen had a similar problem quite a s while ago;
Here is the transcript of your emaill, Ellen :

Dear lynx support team:

We run lynx on an IBM RS6000 machine running AIX 3.2.5.  After we applied
IBM PTF U444171 and subsequently re-booted (since this PTF hit the
kernel), lynx stopped functioning.  The message it gives is:

Alert!:  Unable to connect to remote host.

lynx: Can't access start file http:/www.upenn.edu/

Can you shed any light on this.  I have called IBM and they don't think
this is their problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Ellen Rosenblatt
address@hidden
(215) 898-6511