lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev mirror, mirror

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mirror, mirror
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 06:31:41 -0500

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 06:00:39AM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> 990125 Jim Spath wrote:
> > FTP.CRC.CA are mirroring Lynx to Canada. Their URL is:
> > ftp://ftp.crc.ca/pub/mirrors/by-package/lynx/current
> > It's pretty aggressive: it picked up a typo in FTP README I was editing
>
> i'm probably not the only lynx-dever who isn't sure what `mirroring' is:
> does it involve special software which watches for changes & echoes them
> or is it merely humans checking regularly & manually copying stuff?
> this is not irrelevant to the debate:
> more people might be willing to mirror the latest release,
> if it simply means having a copy available in their  public_html  directory.

Mirroring is the automatic copying of an FTP directory to another site.
It is generally automatic. Serge Munhoven found many sites that have
copies of Lynx by doing search engine lookups. I am looking at the FTP
log on SLCC to see which sites are coming in on a regular basis.

Personal copying on a random basis is not mirroring.

We need to manage this I think for several reasons. One is to lighten
the load on SLCC (no mirrors are permitted or denied currently). We also
should point people to well-connected sites in their locale for better
speed as good netizens. Also, if we move the primary distribution site
to a different host, it would be easier if we knew who was mirroring us.
Otherwise, they would continue to distribute stale versions.

I will more post results of my SLCC log analysis ASAP.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.