lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Lynx for Amiga

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Lynx for Amiga
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:19:35 -0800

On Sun, Jan 24, 1999, David Woolley (address@hidden) said:

| I don't think it is that surprising.  Unix is written in C, C is
| derived from BCPL and BCPL is in turn derived from CPL.  CPL was a
| large language development project that never took off; BCPL was the
| boostrapping language, which was adopted, if not written, by Martin
| Richards at Cambridge.
|
| The original Tripos was a research operating system written in BCPL.

| All in all there is rather a lot of coupling between Cambridge England and
| the design of Unix, so if it is also coupled to AmigaOS, I would expect
| commonality even if there was no direct cross-fertilization.

FWIW, some of the components of the Amiga OS were actually written
*in* BCPL ... that would be what is collectively called  "AmigaDOS"
(the filesys part of the Amiga OS, among other things), IIRC.

Also, I believe that in the evolution of C, there was something called
B that was in between BCPL and C (ie, BCPL --> B --> C, though the
evolution was not a completely 1-to-1 direct kind of relationship).

We now return you to 1999 ...

/kim  (who's using an A2000 still running 1.3, as a vt100 to type this)