lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [-dev.12] experimental text entry fields patch (updated)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 16:35:07 -0800

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999, Serge MUNHOVEN (address@hidden) said:

| What about creating a subdirectory (e.g. with a name derived from the PID)
| in TMP_SPACE and chdir to it right at the startup of lynx. You would only
| have to remove it all at once when shutting down ?  This would apply to all
| temporary files created, not only edited textareas. I used to do this in
| shell wrappers around programs.

Well lynx's temp files already use the pid in their filenames, and you
can't just do (an equivalent of) "rm -f some-dir" and have it and all
its contents blown away ... you still need to unlink() the individual
files in it before rmdir()'ing the directory.

Lynx already unlink()'s all its temp files at shutdown time (since it
keeps track of those that it's created), however since it doesn't "know
about" backup files that (may have been) spun-off by an editor, it would
have to either 1) leave them laying around, or 2) walk thru some dir
looking for filenames of the form Lpid-nTMP.ext, or 3) be told about
there being (possible) backups, via an "extension variable", which it
could then stat/unlink along with the "real" temp file (or at some other
time when the filename is available).

Thanks for the suggestion though.

/kim