lynx-dev

lynx-dev possible bug in lynx 2.8.1 -- GridText.C

From: Seth Theriault
Subject: lynx-dev possible bug in lynx 2.8.1 -- GridText.C
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:41:22 -0500 (EST)

I have someone here who is a heavy Lynx user -- really heavy. Ever since
our upgrade to 2.8.1rel.2, he has been experiencing frequent, random
crashes. The crashes follow no particular pattern or specific URL.

I have traced the problem to our friend GridText.C, in particular line
1154. Lynx sometimes aborts with the error:

./GridText.c: 1154 failed assertion 'line !=NULL'

while it often gives the "Fatal error detected; now exiting" message.

I checked out GridText.C and it seems that scrollback handling is once
again an issue. Here is the piece of offending code:

1127        /*
1128         *  Check whether to force a screen clear to enable scrollback,
1129         *  or as a hack to fix a reverse clear screen problem for some
1130         *  curses packages. - address@hidden & address@hidden
1131         */
1132        if (enable_scrollback) {
1133            addch('*');
1134            refresh();
1135            clear();
1136        }
1137
1138        text->top_of_screen = line_number;
1139        display_title(text);  /* will move cursor to top of screen */
1140        display_flag=TRUE;
1141
1142        /*
1143         *  Output the page.
1144         */
1145        if (line) {
1146            char *data;
1147            int offset, HitOffset, LenNeeded;
1148            for (i = 0; i < (display_lines); i++)  {
1149                /*
1151                 */
1152    #ifndef VMS
1153                if (!LYNoCore) {
1154                    assert(line != NULL);
1155                } else if (line == NULL) {
1156                    if (enable_scrollback) {
1157                        addch('*');
1158                        refresh();
1159                        clear();
1160                    }
1161                    addstr("\n\nError drawing page!\nBad HText
structure!\n" );
1162                    refresh();
1163                    nlinks = 0;  /* set number of links to 0 */
1164                    return;
1165                }
1166    #else
1167                assert(line != NULL);
1168    #endif /* !VMS */
1169                display_line(line, text);
1170

I checked the archives, but found nothing that indicated that this problem
had been addressed. Any help would be appreciated.

System info: Digital Unix 4.0b, lynx 2.8.1rel.2 (compiled with slang
libs 1.2.2, and default-colors enabled)

Seth

--
Seth Theriault