lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev : gnu.announce: Encryption software volunteers needed in co

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev : gnu.announce: Encryption software volunteers needed in countries without export control
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:24:06 -0500 (EST)

981217 Brian Pardy wrote re the Wassenaar agreement:
> the GNUPG page states (with quotes from the Wassenaar Agreement)
> 'public domain' software -- copyrights on the software specifically do NOT
> exclude it from being 'public domain', so GPL, PAL, etc are safe --
> is excluded.  The pages at  www.replay.com  (Finland?) say the same.

the quotes from Wassenaar at Replay (if accurate) certainly suggest
that non-US Lynx supporters have nothing to worry about:
insofar as the software is public-domain, Wassenaar doesn't apply
& the RSA patent applies only inside the USA.  of course,
US supporters have to worry about US law-enforcement for US export laws.
in Canada, we'll have to see exactly what the bill says when it's published
& it may not get thro' Parliament unamended: it won't be a priority ...