lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:19:23 -0500 (EST)

From: address@hidden

> Why couldn't Lynx code contain the following..

The argument by people who deal with the US Dept of Commerce and the
Munitions Act goes "By coding to and API, you are exporting information
which has been declared protected as a part of national security".

Perhaps someone out there with a clean enough record, and enough
dollars, could hire a lawyer, go thru the credit, police, FBI, etc.
checks to get such a thing approved.  One of the problems with lynx
in particular is that no standing body owns the source code.  This
would, I suspect, make the paperwork a bit more difficult - whose background
gets checked?

--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>