lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev RE: "remove the r command"

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev RE: "remove the r command"
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:18:28 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Thu Dec 10 15:48:05 1998
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:43:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden>
>
> > i have never understood why the  r  command hasn't been removed,
> > but of course it takes a volunteer to do the necessary work.
>
> And I can't understand why you want to remove the "remove" command just
> because sometimes it doesn't work with incorrectly edited bookmarks files!
> The "remove" command is very practical and has been correctly working for
> more than two years here. If there really is a problem it should be
> corrected, not the command removed.
>
> Ismael

One kludgey "solution" would be, on the r command, to ASK the
user:

    Answer y if you really want to delete THIS bookmark (and
     note, it MIGHT not be the one you are EXPECTING!):
      <the bookmark>
     y or n?

Advantages: (1) trivial to implement (2) foolproof.

David

(no, don't ask me to implement it; I haven't used C for
years, and even then never wrote anything more than 100 lines
long.  Have been using "Mainsail" since 1982 -- and ratfor
before that, Fortran before even that.  Though am playing
with perl now -- given all the kludges in syntax and semantics,
is pretty neat language, and QUITE useful.)