lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 19:38:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, brian j. pardy wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 1998, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 01:38:23AM -0800, brian j. pardy wrote:
> > > Finding myself overcome by insomnia, I decided to sit down and do
> > > something I had been meaning to for a while, and fix some of my spacing
> > > errors -- I never remember to put two spaces after the end of a sentence.
> > FWIW, the "par" program that I use to format email into ~72 column text
> > puts one space a period.
>
> My *brain* puts one space after each period, and it's proving to be a
> really difficult habit to break.

There is really no reason except for aesthetics to put two spaces
after a period. When you consider that documentation will be changing
in the future and that programs can not generally tell which "." is
the end of a sentence (where you may want 2 spaces), which is a "." in
a filename (no spaces wanted), and which is an abbreviation (one space
wanted), I think it would be best to use one space uniformly or leave
the spacing variable (what harm, really ?).
                               Doug

P.S. The only reason I have DJGPP and learned to compile on DOS was
because I didn't want to be without the latest version of par. There
wasn't a precompiled version of 1.50.
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)