lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev page counters

From: Eduardo Chappa L.
Subject: Re: lynx-dev page counters
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:29:18 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Tom Hall wrote:

:)On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 05:20:23PM +0100, Veit Kannegieser wrote:
:)> i often see counters that hide behind images
:)> could lynx implement an switch to load the first by fro such images
:)> (it is not nice to not be counted as visiror ...)
:)> as i have understand the only counters that count with lynx
:)> are the cgi that sits behind html files (installed in the web server)
:)
:)As I understand it, this is a 'trick' to allow pseudo-dynamic pages by
:)taking advantage of the ability to execute a cgi script for the
:)"src" of an IMG tag.
:)
:)I guess lynx could look at the src of an IMG tag, and if it's a cgi
:)script, automatically load it. This should be an option, though, since
:)if you're running without a window manager it would keep asking if
:)you want to download it.
:)
I hold a free counter at web-counter. The problem here is that text-based
web browser are not counted as visitors since, based on the way these
sites work, is that the only way to be counted as a visitor is to actually
load the image of the counter into the page, so if you want to be counted
as a visitor you'll have to actually load the image for the counter. More
info at

http://www.digits.com/faq.html#Text

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/personal.html