lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: [2.8.2dev.8] Env var data for PRINTER: pgms (w/man page ent

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.2dev.8] Env var data for PRINTER: pgms (w/man page entries)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:50:59 -0800

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998, Leonid Pauzner (address@hidden) said:

| > I've also made a first attempt at adding an ENVIRONMENT section to the
| > man page.
|
| which is in parallel to lynx.hlp

Yes, but since lynx.hlp is more-or-less just an ascii rendering of the
lynx.man source, I assume [yes, I know] that it is generated when lynx
is packaged for distribution.  Is that not correct?

| > +             StrAllocCopy(envbuffer, newdoc->address);
|
| such a things may be a problem on DOS where the space for environment
| variables limited ("Out of environment space").

How does one test for adequate environment space on DOS?  Is such a
condition common, and does it cause the app to crash, or just ignore the
setting of further env vars?

| > +See the \fBINSTALLATION\fR file in the \fILynx\fR distribution for
| > details, and examples.
|
| I see a logical hole here:
| INSTALLATION file written very clear but it is not supplied even within
| "extra documentation files" (install-doc), supposed for compilation process
| only. While the environment variables info useful at run time and it is
| a bad idea to force user to download lynx sources to read about
| environments...

Currently, users would need to download lynx sources to find out about
any environment vars (unless they just happen to find something meaningful
in the lynx.cfg file, on a particular variable).  So, they are no worse off
now than they were then (and in most cases, I think, alot better informed
on the subject).

Perhaps section VII of the INSTALLATION file should be extracted by the
install-doc make rule, and provided as an additional documentation file.

| Environments info may be a separate page linked from lynx_user_guide.html:
| I think it of the same level of complexity as the command-line options list
| (currently included in user guide and other docs).

Sure, go ahead and add one.  However, an ENVIRONMENT section is a normal
"component" of man pages, and is the traditional place to look for such
information, so at a minimum, such a section belongs in there, IMO.

/kim