lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: New editing key bindings (was Re: lynx2.8.2dev.4)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: New editing key bindings (was Re: lynx2.8.2dev.4)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:55:56 -0800

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998, Ismael Cordeiro (address@hidden) said:

| On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Larry W. Virden wrote:
| >
| > If this is something  open for discussion I kind of like:
| >
| > ^u - delete from current insert point to the beginning of the line
| > ^w - delete previous word
| > ^x - delete entire line
|
| In all Unix systems I access, running Solaris 2.5/ksh and FreeBSD/tcsh, ^U
| deletes the whole line in the system prompt. I would like lynx to keep ^U as
| "delete the whole line".

I personally agree about ^U, though what this discussion points to is that
a way to have *user* specifiable edit keymaps might be a good feature to
consider (ie, a method that could be altered in (say) lynx.cfg, rather than
requiring the map(s) to be compiled in).

If enough folks are interested, I'll think about developing something along
those lines.

A couple other comments:

 1. A "delete to beginning-of-line" function would be pretty trivial to add
    to LYStrings.[ch], though I've never had much need of it myself (which
    is why I didn't also add it, when I added the del-to-eol function).

    The devil, of course, is in a binding choice, as the other comments in
    this thread show :-) .

 2. WRT binding ^W ... I too would prefer to have it bound to DELPW, but
    simply changing its mapping from a NOP to DELPW in the map struct didn't
    work.  It seems that ^W gets snarfed up earlier in the food-chain, and
    used to refresh the screen (like ^L).

    Why this should be done, I dunno.  I suppose some non-UNIX OS's must use
    ^W as the default for screen refreshing.

    As may be ... I wasn't motivated enough (nor am I familier enough with
    the code) to trace the keyboard input chain back up to where this is
    being done, and see about "fixing" it to have a more UNIX-like default
    behavior (^W is something else I use only infrequently).

Comments ...?

/kim
"When you open the box, the cat's either dead or it bites you."  --M. Flynn