lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext() question #2
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:53:55 +0300 (MSK)

> If not, does the character encoding implied by the locale correspond
> conceptually to lynx's -assume_local_charset or its display character
> set or something else?

And how about display charset auto switch?
We have few environment variables before running lynx
but if the user choose display charset or other settings from 'o'ptions menu
they should have a greater priority.
And defining assume_local_charset will disable raw 8-bit, right?
So lynx have superior support for translation between different codepages
but we have no clear understanding about the appropriate interface
for user to manipulate with it. I think we should change nothing on this point.

>> what should lynx do here?
>> Probably set language support only if locale match display charset?

> Or translate all the strings from (e.g.) one Cyrillic charset to another
> Cyrillic charset before displaying them?

Right. But we need to know for sure the gettext's charset
and redefine gettext() to enable UC translation in lynx.
There is no such problem for iso-8859-1 users
(one charset - defferent languages), but do exist for others
(including numerous dos/windows charsets for which we usually
have no appropriate locale on UNIX. I mean access from remote terminal).