lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev on caching (long)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:27:08 +0900 (JST)

> so, may I suggest you have a look at > <http://www.w3.org/Library/User/>

Because of my very slow connection to the Interent, having Lynx cache
the source has been a nebulous dream I've held for Lynx since I joined
this mailing list.  It has been fought for, literally, a number of times.

The "best" solution for me, I've found, is a cacheing server or proxy,
whether that be in my own personal one or one setup system-wide.  The
fact is that there are very good servers out there which specialize in
just cacheing.  Supposedly they are fairly well debugged and have already
thought out the problems.  Couldn't one of these, or its library, be
added to Lynx as an add-on module, sort of like libz, SSL, or, more
recently, libintl?  It just doesn't seem that it could be more tricky
than, say, SSL, and unlike SSL, the "hooks" could be implanted permanently.

__Henry