lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev pre.10 : Options Form/Menu
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 11:10:10 EDT

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:37:18 -0400 (EDT),
Laura Eaves   <address@hidden> wrote:

>I've been exchanging mail with a blind user who says he dreads the new forms
>options menu.  He didn't say why and I haven't heard any comments on the lynx
>I sent him.  He uses a braille display.  If he's subscribed, perhaps he could
>elaborate or give some feedback if he has tried the new version.  For that
>matter, are there other blind users on the list who prefer the old menu?  Why?
>(I have low vision and like both -- although the layout of the forms options
>page is nice as it prints one option per line instead of crowding 2 per line
>to fit everything on a page.)
>--le

Judy Dixon just tried out Pre 9 for Win95 and was disconcerted to find
that in order to easily turn on show_cursor, she had to go through a
forms menu.  In these forms, locating the cursor is vital.  Although
lightbar tracking can be implemented with braille displays, it is
usually not used because it can break whenever colors change from one
version of a program to another.  I realize that show_cursor can also
be set on the command line and in lynx.cfg, but this is one gotcha
that we need to watch.  So it is really important to have a known-good
way to show the cursor.  This is another justification for not yet
abandoning the old options screen, crowded as it is.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/