lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev symlinks to other users' files; broken symlinks

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev symlinks to other users' files; broken symlinks
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:48:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> for a full-featured shell account, the user should be allowed to
> do whatever the system permits him.  It's not Lynx's business.
> Lynx should respect the setting of the TMPDIR environment variable
> at run time.  If the system doesn't support sticky bits, the user
> can create a subdirectory in /tmp, writeable only by himself,
> and point TMPDIR to that.

But lynx has never respected TMPDIR. This was brought up about a
year ago when I submitted a patch for the DOS handling of temp
directories. In unix, lynx uses the value for LYNX_TEMP_SPACE if set
in the environment. Otherwise it uses the value for TEMP_SPACE, set
in userdefs.h. If I remember correctly, I suggested that someone more
familiar than I with unix conventions make the patch for TMPDIR.
Looking at the current code in LYMain.c, however, it seems that it was
never done. This can be done simply, in parallel to the DOS use of
TEMP and TMP environment variables.
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman