lynx-dev

release time, Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: release time, Re: lynx-dev LYMessages_en.h
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:14:11 -0700

Tom Dickey wrote (regarding the release time of Lynx 2.8.1):

> soon.  this is what is left to do:
>
>       + finish documentation updates (mainly documenting the new options
>         form, verbose images and the other visible features).
>
>       + fix bugs reported in pre-release version (the sed-script problem,
>         and possibly the spaces-in-Japanese text)
>
>       + make sure it builds/runs everywhere (including VMS - I do not
>         have an account - if someone is building already, it would be nice
>         to know)

"Soon" is good, but I'd like to ask you to move a little slower than you
did for 2.8.0.  You released that in such a hurry that there were two
immediate bugfix post-releases.  I believe those confuse the "market"
and dilute the appearance of a "stable release version".  It would be
better if we held steady for at least a week, preferably two, during
which the *only* changes going in are bug fixes.  Maybe any bug fix
during the 1st week, then only porting, security, and other major ones
in the 2nd.

You seem to maintain a backlog of patches, so I imagine it wouldn't be
too much more difficult to maintain a longer backlog for this 2-week
prerelease period?  Then, once the release is out, immediately apply
them to get us started on the 2.8.2dev.1 series...