lynx-dev

lynx-dev Documentation suggestion about downloading

From: Lou Poppler
Subject: lynx-dev Documentation suggestion about downloading
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:59:44 -0400 (EDT)

I believe some clarification is needed in the lynx Users Guide section
explaining "Downloading and Saving source files", due to the changes
introduced somewhere in version 2.7 which automatically insert a
<BASE HREF ...> tag into downloaded .html files.

I understand how to control this action by setting the option
PREPEND_BASE_TO_SOURCE:FALSE in my lynx.cfg file.  I am not complaining
about the feature.  I only want to suggest that the documentation is
misleading as currently written.  The paragraph quoted below is

http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/lynx_help/Lynx_users_guide.html#9

and in 2 separate places it incorrectly states that no modification
occurs to files downloaded with the 'd' keystroke command.
These statements are incorrect in the case of foo.html files
downloaded under the default conditions.

Downloading and Saving source files.

   If the DOWNLOAD keystroke command ('d' or D) is used when positioned
   on a link for an HTML, plain text, or binary file, Lynx will transfer
   the file, without rendering or modification, into a temporary location
   and present the user with a list of options, as when a link for a
   binary file of a type for which no viewer has been mapped is
   activated. As described above, the only default Download option is
   Save to disk, which is disabled if Lynx is running in anonymous mode,
   and any number of additional download methods such as kermit and
   zmodem may be defined in the lynx.cfg file by the system
   administrator. Downloading the sources of HTML and plain text files,
   instead of toggling to display the source ('\') and then using
   Printing options, ensures that no modifications of the source (e.g.,
   expansions of TAB characters to a series of spaces) will occur.