lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 18:25:51 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Fri Sep  4 07:44:18 1998
> From: address@hidden

<snip>
> Practically, there's good reason to avoid 2 spaces after a full stop,
> to avoid the jarring "Dr.  Smith" effect.  You can't count on
>                          ^^
> the author's using an NBSP here.

I foolishly used the term "full stop", thinking wrongly that
it meant end of sentence.  Am American, not British, and "full
stop" is a Britishism, I believe.

What I did mean is that the end of a sentence should be followed
by two spaces.  But (stupid me) somehow thought that we could
detect that.  Only if there is some character that means
end-of-sentence in some fancy char-set, or "period as end of
sentence", "exclamation as end of sentence", etc.

Obviously, all my blather about emacs etc should be directed
to the AUTHORS of the text, not to us!

(It is not even late in the day; I have no excuse at all.)

David