lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:09:02 +0100 (BST)

> > > and while we're on it, Lynx should write  2  spaces after a full stop:
> > > that's also professional secretarial practice.
> >
> > I don't think that lynx should be in the business of correcting
> > punctuational errors/preferences when it comes to text presented on the
> > web -- I'd much prefer to leave that to the whim of the author.

As the spaces should be collapsed by the browser, according to the rules
for whitespace in HTML 4.0, the only way you will get two spaces, other
than in <PRE> in a correctly behaving browser is if the browser does take
account of the preceding ".".

> Spaces around dash - up to the author. We may change em-dash to '--'
> but there is a problem: it is built-in iso-8859-1 code so need a lot of
> changes...

The character quoted in the subject is not iso-8859-1.  It is actually used
in a context which requires Unicode, and it is not Unicode either.  It is
a misuse of Windows CP 1252 code points and any handling at all is error
recovery.  There are no Unicode (or iso-8859-1) codes between 128 and 159,
inclusive, and 127 is a control character (and strictly speaking part of
ISO 646).