lynx-dev

lynx-dev Several issues...

From: David Henderson
Subject: lynx-dev Several issues...
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 11:56:42 -0500 (CDT)

I usually use "this--that" for a dash, and that's how I'd personally like
to see dashes expanded.  Probably "--" for n-dash and "---" for m-dash.
The argument that both "n" and "m" are one character wide, so n- and m-
dashes should also be that wide is a frivolous one, in my opinion.

While I do use two spaces after a period in my writing, I don't think
the Lynx parser can distinguish between the periods in this paragraph:

#   Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. gave a speech on Sept. 15. Please remember
#   this for the test on Wed. There will be at least two questions on
#   this topic.

I would NOT want to have Lynx format it this way:

#   Dr.  Martin L.  King, Jr.  gave a speech on Sept.  15.  Please
#   remember this for the test on Wed.  There will be at least two
#   questions on this topic.

That would be even worse than the first paragraph at
http://lynx.browser.org/ as shown here:

#   Lynx is a text browser for the World Wide Web.     Lynx 2.8 runs on
                                                  ^^^^^ 5 spaces?!  Yikes!
#   VMS, Un*x, Windows 95 and NT but not 3.1 or 3.11, and on DOS (on a 386
#   or higher) via DJGPP.  The  current developmental version is also
                         ^^   ^^ two and two.
#   available for testing.  Ports to OS/2 and Mac are in beta test.
                          ^^ This one isn't so bad.

David Henderson
--
Star Trek?  Psi Phi!  Visit http://www.psiphi.org/ for the latest news
and rumors about "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager"
<*> davidh at psiphi.org, davidh at imsa.edu, davidh at cyberdesic.com