lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "&#151": em-dash?
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 98 09:46:06 EDT

Sorry I'm mixing two topics together.

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:11:28 -0700 (PDT),
David Combs   <address@hidden> wrote:

>It might just be my terminal connection, not showing
>french accents, etc, or maybe it is true (what I see):
>
>This code:
>  outside boss, who&#151;he's my boss&#151;who runs the bus
>
>comes out (for me) as "who-he's my boss-who runs...".
>
>If not for you -- if YOU see an em-dash, then it's ok.
>
>If you DO see what I see, maybe we should show it
>as "--" or, even better, as " -- ".
>
>David

I didn't know we were starting to deal with &#146;, &#151;, etc.
because they were Microsoftisms.  But if we are, I prefer not
inserting white spaces, but would like to see "--" for that
character.  It would be great for braille translation of Lynx's
Print output.

On another matter, I would like to see someone post a binary of
Lynx/32 newer than version 16, so we can test things with screen
readers under Windows 95.  A number of blind people are using this
configuration now, because it's really quite slick.  Its only
problems are with keyboard handling.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/