lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev enhancement to accept all cookies proposed

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev enhancement to accept all cookies proposed
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:05:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, David Woolley wrote:

> [ invalid cookie domain ]
>
> > I haven't come across this alert (I visit very few sites that use cookies)
> > so I'll leave it to someone else to decide if this is a good idea or not.
>
> I believe this is a violation of the HTTP standard, but Netscape has an
> option to permit them.  Their most likely use is for market research type
> tracking, which is the main reason that many people don't like cookies.
>
> I'm pretty sure there are security as well as privacy considerations.
>
> The main reason that people want accept cookies always is probably their
> use to avoid a login, although they may also help for sites which use
> cookies to maintain state information about, say, "shopping cart" contents.
> In most cases, there is a tracking element associated with free services that
> require logins or cookies.

I'm very hesitant to add an option to violate the standard (the <BR> stuff
bugs me enough), but I can see why people might want this.. However, I
*definitely* feel that this should not be an invisible part of accepting
all cookies.

It should be easy enough to implement, if there's a consensus that we want
it done.

I don't even use accept always now, I'm sticking with the by-domain
auto-accept/reject.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4