lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx Questions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:46:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, gruff wrote:
>No, I'm sorry.  I didn't make my question clear.  I meant from a Unix
>environment.  I use Unix strictly and operate Lynx from within that
>environment by means of a shell account with my ISP.  What I'm looking
>for, and there doesn't appear to be one, is a means of cutting and pasting
>text from a file on my provider's server to a webpage form I visit using
>Lynx.   I hope that makes sense.  I'm not that sophisticated a user of
>Unix programs, but the more I use them the better I like it.

I'm not exactly sure how much you want to copy and paste, but there are
a couple of reasonably good solutions:

1) Use the terminal program on your computer to copy and paste from the
original file into the form on a web page (i.e. paste into Lynx).

Another solution, especially if you're using an actual terminal or your
software doesn't do copy and paste or somesuch, is:

2) Use the "screen" program.  This allows you to have multiple virtual
terminals on one connection.  Now that I know about it, it's hard to imagine
living without it.

This program offers lots of benefits, but the specific one useful in this
area is built in copy and paste.  It's not as user-friendly as using your
terminal program's copy and paste, but especially for short chunks of text,
I can usually copy and paste it within screen faster than I can by moving
my hand over to the trackball.