lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev nsl-fork default

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nsl-fork default
Date: 22 Aug 1998 21:44:13 -0500

PW> given that we have to rely on a configure switch  --enable-nsl-fork
PW> to stop a look-up with `z', why is the default disable?
PW> shouldn't it be enable?

Nsl-fork is a major resource hog under some situations, for example on
an overloaded freenet that uses lynx as the main user interface.  It's
also a performance problem on OS/2 because fork() is badly emulated by
EMX, but that's a relatively minor concern (I'll just remember to
configure with --disable-nsl-fork when I build binary distributions).

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |