lynx-dev

lynx-dev Another DOS patch for lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev Another DOS patch for lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 23:44:53 -0700 (PDT)

I reviewed the INSTALLATION file as it relates to DOS and updated it for
the newly released version of  PDCurses 2.3. In doing this, I noted that
the getbkgd() patch for PDCurses that Wayne Buttles had made some time
ago was not being used because of an ifdef for ncurses version. I added
the HAVE_GETBKGD define to makefile.dos. This fixes some of the unusual
background color handling that was present in the PDCurses DOS port. At
some point, I wonder if we need to go through the code and make a
specific PDCURSES define for the DOS and Win32 ports, rather that using
the NCURSES defines and hoping that PDCURSES will work. I don't think
that I know enough about the different curses libraries to do this
myself.

I left the getbkgd definition in the PDCurses file "curses.h" the way
Wayne originally specified it. I am not sure that it really needs the
parenthesis surrounding it.
                              Doug

*** lynx2-8-1/INSTALLATION      Fri Jul 31 02:34:42 1998
--- lynx2-8-1/INSTALLATION.new  Sat Aug 15 23:07:00 1998
***************
*** 512,522 ****
  V. Compile instructions -- 386 DOS

      Compiling for DOS with DJGPP is a multistep procedure.  First install
!     the c compiler and its libraries.  DJGPP, as distributed from the
!     usual DJGPP archives, will not successfully compile lynx.  You need to
!     "stubedit" your "cc1.exe" file.  The following parameters have worked
!     successfully:  minstack=800k, bufsize=64k.  To accomplish this, move to
!     the djgpp\bin directory and type the command:
          "stubedit cc1.exe bufsize=64k minstack=800k".
      Or do it interactively with the command: "stubedit cc1.exe".
      (see "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0897/msg00145.html";).
--- 512,525 ----
  V. Compile instructions -- 386 DOS

      Compiling for DOS with DJGPP is a multistep procedure.  First install
!     the c compiler and its libraries.  Update the distribution with the
!     patched lib.c, to take care of bug fixes. It is available at:
!     "http://www.cartsys.com/eldredge/djgpp-patches.html";.
!     DJGPP, as distributed from the usual DJGPP archives, will
!     not successfully compile lynx. You need to "stubedit" your
!     "cc1.exe" file. The following parameters have worked successfully:
!     minstack=800k, bufsize=64k. To accomplish this, move to the
!     djgpp\bin directory and type the command:
          "stubedit cc1.exe bufsize=64k minstack=800k".
      Or do it interactively with the command: "stubedit cc1.exe".
      (see "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0897/msg00145.html";).
***************
*** 543,553 ****
      and in "http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/source/djgpp.zip";). You
      can also use slang ("ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang";) as your
      curses library. You need to compile these before you go any further.
!     If you wish to use the beta version of PDCurses 2.3, you need to
!     first apply a patch (available at
!     "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0997/msg00441.html";).
!     Most of the patch has already been applied if you get the latest
!     beta version. If you have trouble applying the patch, we recommend
      that you use the "patch" program,
      ("http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/pat25b.zip";). The
      WATTCP TCPLIB sources also need to be patched prior to compilation. See
--- 546,568 ----
      and in "http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/source/djgpp.zip";). You
      can also use slang ("ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang";) as your
      curses library. You need to compile these before you go any further.
!     If you wish to use PDCurses 2.3, you need to first apply the
!     following patch:
!
! *** curses.h  Thu Jul  9 19:38:28 1998
! --- curses.h.new      Sat Aug 15 11:02:08 1998
! ***************
! *** 1802,1807 ****
! --- 1802,1808 ----
!   #define getbegx(w)              (w)->_begx
!   #define getbegy(w)              (w)->_begy
!   #define getbegyx(w,y,x)         ( y = (w)->_begy, x = (w)->_begx )
! + #define getbkgd(w)              ((w)->_bkgd)
!   #define getch()                 wgetch(stdscr)
!   #define getmaxx(w)              (w)->_maxx
!   #define getmaxy(w)              (w)->_maxy
!
!     If you have trouble applying the patch, we recommend
      that you use the "patch" program,
      ("http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/pat25b.zip";). The
      WATTCP TCPLIB sources also need to be patched prior to compilation. See
*** lynx2-8-1/src/makefile.dos  Thu Aug  6 05:28:22 1998
--- lynx2-8-1/src/makefile.dos.new      Sat Aug 15 23:12:08 1998
***************
*** 12,18 ****
  CFLAGS= $(MCFLAGS) -I. -I.. $(SLANGINC)

  CC = gcc
! MCFLAGS = -O3 -DDISP_PARTIAL -DUSE_ZLIB -DUSE_EXTERNALS -DCOLOR_CURSES
-DNCURSES -DFANCY_CURSES -DACCESS_AUTH -DNO_CUSERID -DNOUSERS -DDOSPATH
-DNO_TTYTYPE -DNO_UTMP -Ichrtrans -I../WWW/library/implementation -I../curses
-I../djgpp/tcplib/include -I../
djgpp/tcplib/include/tcp
  WWWLIB = ../WWW/library/djgpp/libwww.a ../curses/pdcurses.a
../djgpp/tcplib/obj/libtcp.a
  LIBS=-lz

--- 12,18 ----
  CFLAGS= $(MCFLAGS) -I. -I.. $(SLANGINC)

  CC = gcc
! MCFLAGS = -O3 -DHAVE_GETBKGD -DDISP_PARTIAL -DUSE_ZLIB -DUSE_EXTERNALS
-DCOLOR_CURSES -DNCURSES -DFANCY_CURSES -DACCESS_AUTH -DNO_CUSERID -DNOUSERS
-DDOSPATH -DNO_TTYTYPE -DNO_UTMP -Ichrtrans -I../WWW/library/implementation
-I../curses  -I../djgpp/tcpli
b/include -I../djgpp/tcplib/include/tcp
  WWWLIB = ../WWW/library/djgpp/libwww.a ../curses/pdcurses.a
../djgpp/tcplib/obj/libtcp.a