lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Alert: this client does not contain support for HTTPS urls.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Alert: this client does not contain support for HTTPS urls.
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:19:32 +0100 (BST)

> Hi, I'm hoping that someone on this list can help me with a problem
> which I've been having with the w32 version of Lynx 2.81.  When going to
> certain secure sites, I get a "This browser does not contain support for
> https urls."  I have spoken with a few people who claimb to be able to

The standard version of Lynx doesn't support SSL because to do so would:

1) violate US export laws (criminal offence);

2) breach a US software patent on the RSA encryption algorithm, and possibly
   others.

> access these types of sites, but since they did not actually compile
> their browser (it was already on a shell account etc..), they don't know

Use on a shell account would have to be commecial use (by the service
provider) which is in violation of point (2).  It is just possible
that they have compiled their own version with the SSL patches (which
I believe are not redistributable in binary form - see GPL) or using
an SSL proxy.

> if it's somehting which can be enable in lynx.cfg, or something which
> must be compiled in.

Compiled in, and in the USA, only by a non-commercial end user.