lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev regex in whereis?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev regex in whereis?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Sat Aug  8 02:37:51 1998
> From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev regex in whereis?
> >
> > It should probably also be an option so it can be disabled by anyone who
> > doesn't need/want regex functionality...
>
> The default should be disabled.  Even the supposedly computer literate
> people in my employer's support department always run vi as vedit to avoid
> enabling magic mode.

You know, if something THIS important is going to exist,
and be defaulted one way or the other (maybe the default
should be settable in the .cfg, so different sites
can do different defaults, eg bell labs would likely
want the magic "on" -- one would hope...) --

maybe there should be a command invented
(again, how about some two-char cmd names?) that
would type out some of this stuff, what the
defaults currently are, what the current choice is,
etc, ...

And so there are so many of these settable things,
maybe via a level of "importance" or priority,
eg 1, 2, 3, "all".

(Asking the user to read the .cfg is a bit much!)

----

Again, how about some two-char (or more) commands,
like vi or emacs?

---

This priority stuff could be added to the items (I have NOT
seen the code) via having the declarations, etc, all
generated by macro-expansions:

(I don't use C, so this will be wrong, but you will
get the idea, but of course the code probably already
works this way...)

#define allfeatures (
  xx(featureone, integer, 7, "feature one", 3)
  xx(featurefoo, real, 1.414, "foo-feature", 1)
)

// Lets do the declarations:

#define xx (
    $2 $1;