lynx-dev

lynx-dev searching the archive

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev searching the archive
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:46:06 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Claude SOMA - CNTS said:

> I find the last discussion about lynx and french version
> It's not in the archive yet.(Not found whith any search engine)
> It's at  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

Is there anyone regularly using any external search service to
find things from the HTML archives?  Like Claude, I have not
found this to be that effective.

When I do dig things out of the archives, it is done either by a)
I remember who said it and I search the index pages for the
author or b) I have the message in a known folder and go to the
archive by date for an URL because people should read the whole
thread or c) I have the message in an unknown folder and grep for
a key word in my folders directory.

Are we leading users down the primrose path by pointing them at
search services that don't really cover what FLORA has archived
for us?

Al