lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: maybe 2-column output for wide screens?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: maybe 2-column output for wide screens?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:20:27 -0400 (EDT)

> > Question: what about two columns for lynx?
> > would anyone other than myself like it?
>
> Yes, but...  I don't see that it's something that should be in Lynx.
>
> It should be an external program, like screen or splitvt, that handles
> this kind of thing.  No hacking of the lynx source code, everyone
> with big screens benefits for every program, and it's optional.  :->
yes/no - I can 'see' that it would be interesting to have more than one
page available on the screen.  But it wouldn't support the existing users
very well.  Implementing tables and left/right panning would be a better
way to invest time.

Multi-window support wouldn't make the code grow (much) though it would be
more complex to read, since the existing program writes to stdscr in every
curses call, so that's code that has been allocated.

> *waits for the ncurses people to develop it*
I'm not volunteering (yet) since there's other things that look more
critical.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden