lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "Append to local file": default file-name needed!
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:54:11 -0400 (EDT)

> Well, what should I do?  Am using shell acct on netcom, which uses
> sparc and sunos 4.x.
>
> I myself use sparcstation, with solaris 5.1.  Sun is sun is sun, no?
maybe.  'sun' is the console terminal type; afaik, and 'sun-cmd' is
the cmdtool type.  Lots of systems are configured to predefine $TERM
to something convenient which may not be correct (e.g., 'vt100').
You should set $TERM to whatever is appropriate based on the terminal
hardware or emulator.

(My ISP, for example, prefers 'vt100' or 'ansi')

> Term on both computers is "sun".
>
> Between the two, I use KERMIT.
Kermit supports a number of flavors of terminal emulation (I don't use it,
though, and cannot advise on details).

> I have FOREVER had problems with chars.  I got into a really
> embarrassing faux pas with many stupid posts about
> French chars -- turned out these accented chars (eg e-acute, etc)
> were actually there, because when I downloaded to MY computer and
> catted or paged them they showed up really nice, but not when
> looking at them on netcom, via lynx, mail, cat, page, or anything!
maybe you are using a 7-bit connection?  The accented characters are
usually codes in the range 160-255, which don't transmit properly on
a 7-bit connection no matter what the terminal emulation supports.
Graphic characters (e.g., boxes) are usually done another way (with
a control sequence that depends on the terminal type, that causes
certain characters to be interpreted differently).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden