lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies

From: pk
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch to 2.8rel2 to accept all cookies
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:41:10 -0700 (PDT)

Forgive the reply to several posts in one, but...

Larry Virden:
> From: Michael Warner <address@hidden>
> > On Thu, Jul 09, 1998, pk <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > I was starting to get tired of always having to hit 'A' to tell lynx to
[snip my patch intro]

> > and...
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 09, 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps in 'eat all cookies' mode there should be a cookie monster file
> > > created that logs what cookies were eaten?
> >
> > Is it just me, or is there perhaps a bit of terminological
> > confusion here?  In the Lynx help, "gobbling" cookies refers
>
> Yes, the lynx help file uses the term "gobble" to mean the user wishes
> to delete a cookie previously accepted.

> Posterkid, perhaps what you want to do is rename your options
> 'HOARD ALL COOKIES' or accept_all_cookies instead of 'EAT ALL COOKIES'
> to avoid the confusion.

Ah, I'd agree that a renaming is in order.

> Then, I would reword my request to log all accept all cookies or hoard all
> cookies .  The idea is that the original cookie code was done as it was
> so that the user never had cookies being exchanged without knowing about
> it.  The logging of accepted cookies parallels this action by keeping
> track of the cookies accepted so that one has a way of knowing what went on.

> In fact, by adding the feature, one almost has a persistent 'cookie jar'
> feature...  All that would be left would be the code to lookup cookies upon
> request.

Logging all received cookies shouldn't be that difficult to implement. I'm
not sure if anyone else is working on persistant cookie jar -- if someone
else is, I'd want to get in touch with them to see if there'd be any kind
of conflict.

So, is anybody?

Scott Bigham:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> > Posterkid, perhaps what you want to do is rename your options
> > 'HOARD ALL COOKIES' or accept_all_cookies instead of 'EAT ALL COOKIES'
> > to avoid the confusion.

> Actually, I think it would be more useful to have a more general
> COOKIE_HANDLING lynx.cfg entry that could be set to, say, ACCEPT_ALL,
> REJECT_ALL or PROMPT (the default).  The corresponding command-line option
> would presumably look something like '-cookie_handling=reject'.  The
> ACCEPT_ALL setting could presumably also activate the logging that Larry
> describes.

I like this idea, that's much more along the lines of what I would like
to see. I suppose working logging into the accept code would work here,
though I'm not sure if it should only log with ACCEPT_ALL, or also when
a prompted-for cookie is accepted. If this does become a step towards a
persistant cookie jar, I'd have it log/store everything.

-bri

--
PGP public key : <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/pgp.txt>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4