lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev question about -dump

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev question about -dump
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 03:34:26 -0700

Philip Webb wrote:

> 980702 Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > Philip Webb wrote:
> >> i edited  .lynxrc  to remove link numbers temporarily,
> >> did  restart  (in case) & ran  lynx28 -dump http://foo >test.d1 ,
> >> but the links in  test.d1  were STILL numbered!
> >> when i simply started Lynx with  lynx28 , however, they weren't!
> >> presumably,  .lynxrc  alters settings only in interactive mode,
> >> whence the switch  -number_links  to force link numbering,
> >> tho' there's no corresponding  -numbers_as_arrows  to suppress them.
> > You can use -number_links=0 to turn it off,
> > in which case you *might* get numbers_as_arrows behavior.
>
> 2-8pre.2 accepted  -number_links=0 , but still numbered the links!
> i always want links numbered, but isn't this a small bug/misbehaviour
> for those who for some reason don't?

I was speaking about a feature that dates to about 2.8.1pre.9 -- long
after 2.8pre.2.  But then, I see that it still doesn't work!

Option parsing changed a bunch between 2.8pre.2 and now.  With 2.8pre.2,
"-number_links=0" was interpreted as "-number_links" (the "=0" was
garbage and got ignored).

Starting somewhere in the 2.8.1dev series, "-option=0" is supposed to
turn off that option.  I thought I'd tested it and it worked on
"-number_links".  But now I find that it doesn't.  Sigh.

Actually, it *does* work if number_links is turned *off* in your
.lynxrc.  Then the following occurs:

  lynx http://something
    ... no numbers

  lynx -number_links http://something
    ... numbers

  lynx -number_links -number_links http://something
    ... numbers

  lynx -number_links -number_links=0 http://something
    ... no numbers

So we can see that the "=0" thing works.  It fails to override .lynxrc
because the flag is advisory -- it only tells Lynx to turn on
number_links, not to turn it off.

All the option parsing needs work.