lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Tables

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Tables
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:27:25 -0400 (EDT)

980703 John Summerfield wrote:
> I've begun using Lynx to fetch documents that are at fixed URLs
> to get information regularly. I run the result though perl scripts
> to extract the information so I can feed it into other programs.
> See http://www.stockrocket.com.au/com/clsprice/clsprice.html
> for an example (but be aware it's quite large).
> The problem is that company names don't always start on new lines.
>
> What I'd like to see is for Lynx to format each table row
> as a separate line, either unconditionally
> or in conjunction with yet another command-line switch.
> in conjunction with the -dump option.

tables are a long-standing problem for Lynx:
the best suggestion i've seen was to treat them as unordered lists,
which is quite close to what you would like.
it should be simple, but no-one with the skill has been interested.

there is/was an awk script at  www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp/ .

you can read replies in the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev/ .