lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx Help for Beginners

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx Help for Beginners
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:48:50 -0400 (EDT)

several people have commented constructively on Lynx Help for Beginners
at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/hfb.html ,
which i have polished & expanded a bit.

to repeat: it is intended for the sort of people who mail to lynx-dev,
asking "How do I interrupt a download or find the current page's URL?".
they don't know about  k  or  =
& apparently the Users' Guide is too long for them to read thro':
Lynx Help for Beginners is intended to be quick'n'at-a-glance,
with a few simple links to further help if they want it.

Stephane Payrard wrote: I appreciated very much "Lynx Help for Beginners"
that is now in my bookmark -- that's REAL encouragement!

Kenneth Shaffer wrote: I would put information on how to move around a page
within the first 24 lines -- assuming they have the Novice option,
they can see that at the bottom of the screen: can't include everything.

Al Gilman wrote: You might get more thanks from users with an index
to the Help and User's Guide cross-referenced from the terms
that people actually use in questions -- too much work for me
& not what i intend: someone else is welcome to do that as well.

Lloyd Rasmussen wrote: It will probably help many users,
although it can't answer all their questions, nor should it
-- more encouragement (thanx!): yes, Users' Guide gives it all in full.

In the introduction, group 3 users also include many who did not compile
a copy of Lynx, but are running a pre-compiled binary on their own computer:
if you didn't compile it, you can't change userdefs.h.
-- yes, that's a wrinkle i should mention.

Many group 1 users don't have good access to the Options screen, .lynxrc.
They may be able to make a change for the current session,
but it won't persist to their next session -- yes, that's why i left it
rather vague as to exactly what Groups 1 & 2 might be missing;
after all, if you're getting free Internet access thro' a public library,
you shouldn't expect to have every convenience laid on
or to have all the limitations explained in full.
i've amended the text to say "MOST users can change Options".

Are you sure PgUp and PgDn go up and down two lines? --
that's what they do on my PC-terminal, but i've altered it to  ^n  ^p .

Hope this helps -- yup & thanx again.

PW wrote: i need help about Forms+Security & about CharacterSets
-- which still holds: anyone tell me about Get & Post?  Russian?