lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx primer page

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx primer page
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 05:50:16 -0400 (EDT)

980629 Richard Piccard wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:33:16 -0400 (EDT) Al Gilman wrote:
>> to follow up on what Philip Webb said:
>>> there is a need for a WWW page for beginners linked from the Help pages,
>>> which i might try to compose given a little time & encouragement;
>>> it would need to be hosted somewhere.
>> You can find some good raw material with a web search on lynx.
>> university help desks have done Lynx-based "intro to Internet" pages.
>> An unsolved problem is the web setup that gets people to return
>> for lesson two.  The "list links" function doesn't make it into lesson 1.
>> And as you said, it is just too useful not to mention.
> I guess it depends on how big your first lesson is!
> You might find something useful at
>   http://www.ohiou.edu/~acatec/internet/intermediate/lynx.html
> This was prepared some time ago as the slide show for a 2-hour seminar
> whose audience was hands-on using Lynx as the seminar progressed.

i had a look at those pages, but they seem rather sketchy without slides
& they are an introduction to the WWW, rather than to Lynx.

i still invite constructive comment on my draft Lynx Help for Beginners
at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/hfb.html ,
which is intended for the sort of people who mail to lynx-dev,
asking "How do I interrupt a download or find the current page's URL?".
they don't know about  k  or  =
& apparently the Users' Guide is too long for them to read thro',
so i've tried to compose something accessible quick'n'at-a-glance.
once perfected, hopefully it can be added as 1st link on the Help screen.