lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 4 suggestions

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 4 suggestions
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 03:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Tue Jun 23 17:01:07 1998
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 19:54:24 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Mark Mentovai <address@hidden>

<snip>
> arrow key.  However, Lynx already has the less-than and greater-than keys,
> by default, are mapped, respectively, to UP_LINK and DOWN_LINK.  These
> functions move you up one line and down one line.  Once I discovered these
> commands, I began using them all the time - this may be one of the
> simplest yet unnoticed power features of Lynx.

Hey, if you want something a real POWER FEATURE, turn on "vikeys".
It makes four (only four) keys work as in vi, but you don't need to
know vi to win big by using them.

The four keys are h j k l, all in a row, three under fingers of
your right hand (if you do touch-typing), and one just to the left.

h: go back to prior site (ie, pop the stack of sites).
j: go "down" to next link (ie, move cursor to there)
k: go "up" to prior link.
l: "go to" the current link.

So, you lean back in your chair, with only one hand on the
keyboard, your right hand, and NEVER MOVE YOUR HAND -- just
your fingers down, to press the keys, or left-one for the "h".

Another cool trick someone emailed me about is typing in
the number of a link -- followed by a "g", and hit <return>,
and presto quicko, the cursor moves to that place.  Another
<return> (or in vikeys, you can also hit an "l"), and
you go to that site.

Perhaps the most useful key is "L" -- uppercase "ell".
It shows the urls of ALL the links on the page -- one hell of
a lot better, these "user friendly site"-days, than the
links you "see" on the page!  (At least you can see which
are .gif's!)  Also, one page I just looked at (that
movie site a lynx-msg or two ago) had four differently-titled(!)
links, and they were ALL to the SAME url!  (Thanks to "L" for that!)

Should this be added to the faq, as user-advice?