lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problem with lynx with a rpm address
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 07:54:55 +0100 (BST)

> I am starting using lynx as a light and welcome alternative to heavy
> mozilla.
>
> I often launch it using xemacs browse-url-at-point the variable
> browse-url-browser-function set to 'browse-url-lynx-xterm. That's cool
> because there is no cutting and pasting of URL. But there is a
> difficulty.. When the URL is a rpm file that I want to save as such, I
> often have problems.
>
> Any hint is welcome. Is there a way to tell lynx (switch or config
> file) that .rpm are binary files.?

This is a server configuration error.  If this rpm is in cheap or free
server space, the work around may be to add an additional extension that
makes the name look like a known binary file type.  If the server space
is being paid for, and maybe even if not, the page owner should ask for
it .rpm to be added to the mime_types file, or should make sure that they
have permission to define types locally and then use AddType in the
.htaccess file (assumes NCSA or Apache).  (I'm offline, so I haven't
actually checked this page.)

Alternatively, try using the Lynx download command which is always a binary
transfer for Unix http, use k for a list..

> I am a seasoned UNIX programmer but a totally new
> lynx user. Please include me in the answer because I do not belong
> (yet?) to lynx-dev

That's always a hassle when replying to this group and will often get
missed.