lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx overflows terminal

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx overflows terminal
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:33:26 -0400

Tested on:
==========

Lynx 2.7.2 (Sun/Unix) via shell account with 14.4kbps modem connection

I spotted this problem when I connected to a T3 remote server (can't
remember which) and tried to download 1.5MByte file.  When Lynx is
updating the following display:

Read 794099 of 1542259 bytes of data.

Lynx hanged the terminal session just before reaching the 1MB mark.  When
I tried to download it again, but this time I suspended Lynx before
reaching the overflow byte and come back, this problem was gone.

I suspected this has something to do with Lynx's display update algorithm.
Instead of updating the display after certain amount of time, Lynx updated
the status line after receiving every packet, which overflowed the
terminal buffer ,and consequently hanged the terminal session.  This is
like 'cat big_txt_file.txt' on modem connection, which chokes a slow
connection.

Although this is a rather rare situation (after all, only 1 so far), Lynx
display update algorithm should only update byte count display after a
fixed amount of time (eg: 1 second or more), instead of updating byte
count for every packet it receives, to prevent terminal overflow caused by
frequent display update and using shell accounts with slow connections.
And BTW, for those who want a decent benchmark for a particular download
session, Lynx should add a byte per second display instead.