lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev email in lynx

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: lynx-dev email in lynx
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:51:03 -0400

From: Howard Miller <address@hidden>

> I'd like to see the capability of full e-mail services integrated into
> lynx, as is done in netscape.  to read, write email, send and get files.

I don't know of anyone actively working on this.  In fact, the most common
complaint I heard before recent versions of navigator was that folk
wished they didn't have things bundled in like communicator.  And
I have heard on this list requests to keep the lynx source and executable
small.

On the other hand, there are techniques that folk have used to connect
lynx with external email programs.  Has anyone written up any notes on
the use of EXTERNAL, etc. to enable integration of better text based email
and newsreaders with lynx so that it appears rather seamless and that
clicks on mailtos and news/nntp links cause the appropriate applications
to fire?