lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev bash remembers binary location (was search.lexmark.com)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bash remembers binary location (was search.lexmark.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

> > # Is it possible that linux caches binaries and allows you to
> > # run the cached copy
> >
> > You're not running any kind of caching filesystems, are you?
> > If not, then I'd say that Linux isn't.  Is the path to the
> > new program the same as the old one?
>
> The old lynx: /usr/bin/lynx
>
> The new Lynx: /usr/local/bin/lynx
>
> Bash was caching the last *location* it saw the binary.  (not the
> image of the binary)
Like 'rehash', Bash has:
bash$ help hash
hash: hash [-r] [name ...]
    For each NAME, the full pathname of the command is determined and
    remembered.  The -r option causes the shell to forget all remembered
    locations.  If no arguments are given, information about remembered
    commands is presented.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden