lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents

From: Jason White
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx 2.7.1 and 2.8 refuse to render certain HTML documents
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 19:35:12 +1000 (AEST)

When I attempt to read
http://lummi.stanford.edu/class/ps142k/WWW/casebook/casebook.htm (a site
which I found whilst searching for materials relevant to international
law), Lynx versions 2.7.1 and 2.8 both display the document as HTML source
instead of formatting it. I could not find any error near the beginning of
the file, judging from the HTML source as displayed by Lynx, except for
the absence of an SGML Document Type Declaration. However, many authors
fail to include such declarations in their web pages, and Lynx reads them
without difficulty. Thus, the problem must lie elsewhere. Is this
phenomenon the result of a bug in Lynx?