lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: msg00798.html (was: 0x2276 handling)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: lynx-dev Re: msg00798.html (was: 0x2276 handling)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:32:27 +0400 (MSD)

>                            empirical testing reveals that v2.8
> indeed has a serious bug in its handling of the "lg" character
> reference.  It's defined in entities.h to the Unicode value 0x2276
> but there is no translation entry for that value in the chartrans
> tables, and instead of the standard error handling of using the raw
> ampersand and "lg", v2.8 is substituting garbage characters which
> vary as a function of which Display Character Set is selected.
> (That's very "wrong". :)
>
>                                 Fote

I cannot recreate the above behaviour:
browsing with 2.8(1dev.6) of test/sgml.html and test/unicode.html
(searching "/" for 2276) shows up the standard error handling
(no substitution garbage). In which circumstance did you got garbage?
maybe there was some kind of header outside of SGML text, like URL?).

Yes, 0x2276 is not known for def7_uni.tbl currently, we may easily add
U+2276:<>
or something like this, if necessary.

>From the other hand, there are still few strange characters like 0x200A
which are _known_ by def7_uni.tbl but report error handling
instead of promised substitution. This is a bug.

LP.