lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev CGI hit calculation.

From: Ari Moisio
Subject: Re: lynx-dev CGI hit calculation.
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:22:56 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, zur (P. A. Knuutila) wrote:

   Sorry for little off-topic, but about text browsers anyway

> Hello,
>       could anyone have an idea of a cgi-script which would calculate the
> hits, and enter them as a _text_ to the webpage?
>
> I got the knowledge how to make a, for example, perl script which
> calculates times run into a file and puts the amount to the output, but
> i dont know how to add them to the page. I heard about Apache having
> a feature that run cgi`s with <!--- cgi, but i dont know the exact
> syntax, and what that does to the output.

  Apache has feature called server-side include. Iuse followin lines on my
home page

<!--#config timefmt="%d.%m.%y %H:%M" -->
<!--#exec cgi="./cgi-bin/counter.cgi" -->
  Counter.cgi is little shell script witch will count hits and output
result to stdout. In order to work, server should support srver-side
includes.  See my home page at www.sci.fi/~armoi.

> I could do this with shell scripting too, but anyone got better ideas?

  Shell scripts are very useful and simple tasks like this  faster, IMO.

--
Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 7, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
<address@hidden><address@hidden><address@hidden>