lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Post, Get prompt... plus bad html errors

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Post, Get prompt... plus bad html errors
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:06:25 +0100 (BST)

> Could someone please explain to me why the
> Redirection of POST content. P)roceed, see U)RL, use G)ET or C)ancel
> prompt comes up?

The correct action is to re POST the data towards the different URL.  This
is deemed to have security problems, although they are not particularly
obvious to me, as the original site, proxy, etc. have to have been compromised
first, anyway, and that's enough to capture the data.  (About the only
legitimate security concern would be if you trusted the original site not
to abuse the data once they had it, and not to forward it behind your back,
but didn't trust the new target site.)

However, earlier GUI browsers incorrectly interpreted this response as
a request to issue a GET to the new URL, which is why you get the G option.
I would suggest that you look at what is going on, and if it proves that it
is really trying to redirect to GET, you should politely point out that there
is a specific HTTP status for this to the site operators.  My impression is
that Imdb are generally quite well clued up.

> Isn't there any way to know which one is "right"?

You have to understand why they are trying to redirect POST to POST - whether
it is deliberate, or whether it is bad programming.  Generally, if you
consider that the new target is untrustworthy, you should never Proceed
and if you believe it is just trying to point you to a static result page,
you should Get.