lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV handling Javascript (was mensa etc)u

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV handling Javascript (was mensa etc)u
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:05:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 980408 Wayne Buttles wrote (off-list for some reason):
> > You didn't read what I said did you?
>
> i most certainly did read it (as a useful suggestion by you)
> & thought i was following it up with a useful comment of my own.

Sorry, I read your message as "this is a common complaint and should be
easy to implement it so someone should."  The whole point of my message
was to start a thread on why it wasn't simple just to grab the text going
by.  Lets start over ...

> WB> there could be some javascript hacks using the concept of imagemap code
> > as a base, but javascript is usually  <!-- commented out --> .
> > does lynx do anything with text that is in comments
> > or does it just throw it away until the other end shows up?
>
> i can't answer your question, but always assumed Lynx threw it all away.
> my idea was/is that Lynx -- on encountering Javascript comment-marks --
> would no longer simply throw the content away,
> but at least grab any URL's contained therein,
> while alerting the user to the fact that there's Javascript in the vicinity.
> it doesn't look like a big programming item, if anyone has the time.

The url's at Ricoh are stored in generic variables at the beginning of the
page.  Then at some user defigned time they are called using generic
function names.  IMHO this would require logic and storage above and
beyond the fact that we usually throw this stuff away.  Maybe I am just
looking at it from the wrong direction.