lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK

From: pg
Subject: LYNX-DEV SunOS 4, crl.com, and NSL_FORK
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 19:44:44 -0600 (MDT)

Hello, Lyncei,

I'm still contending with a SunOS 4 system that suffers the
www.crl.com nslookup bug described in the FAQ.  So, I thought
I'd try defeating it with the NSL_FORK facility.  I expected
that the forked child would crash, but the parent Lynx would
continue.  I'd still not access the URL, but at least Lynx
wouldn't crash.  I rebuilt Lynx with NSL_FORK.  Still crashed.

The trace log:

    HTParse: result:www.crl.com
    Looking up www.crl.com.
    HTParseInet: NSL_FORK child 19999 exited, status 0x0.
    HTParseInet: NSL_FORK child returns only 0 bytes.
                 Trying again without forking.

    A Fatal error has occurred in Lynx Ver. 2.8rel.2^M

    Please notify your system administrator to confirm a bug, and^M
    if confirmed, to notify the lynx-dev list.  Bug reports should^M

Ummm.  Too bad.  The child crashes, then the parent feels compelled
to try again, and itself crash.  I'd attempt to fix this and bypass
the retry by the parent if the child crashes.  But I'm mystified:
Why did waitpid() get status 0x0 for the child?  I'm pretty much a
novice at process management.  Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks,
gil