lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using Lynx woth web "forums"
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:48:45 +0100 (BST)

> >As a result it can't scroll vertically.
> I disagree with this being why it can't produce a user-viable result.
> Long HTML pages don't scroll, they get repainted.

If you treat it inline and don't scroll it, you need an indefinite number
of lines, so can't have anything after it (any scrolling in Lynx is likely
to involve repainting if you are talking at an implementation level).

> If Lynx could spawn a seperate editor for TEXTAREA, similar to the way one
> is spawned for mailto: URLs, I think the result would be fairly intuitive.
> It also will save a lot of space onscreen in these web forums :)

I think this is much more realistic than a special internal Lynx mode, but
there is one caveat.  I suspect a significant proportion of the demand for
this is from people with captive accounts or from dedicated Lynx terminals;
shelling to an editor is likely to compromise the security of such systems,
as most Unix editors aren't designed to lock people in.  That means you
can't realistically have it as the only option.