lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:31:14 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Mon Mar 30 07:24:24 1998
> From: Philip Webb <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV user agent?
>
> 980330 Larry Virden wrote:
> > If lynx starts shipping with code to make it easy to lie about the
> > type of browser it is, and with code that is technically illegal to
> > ship from the US, you can be sure that a number of folk will drop off
> > this list as well as quit supporting and recommending lynx as a browser.
>
> fully understood, but in that case surely you should demand
> that the option to change the user agent should be deleted from Lynx:
> that makes it easy enough for dissemblers already.
>
> however, the point at issue is whether -- given the option is there --
> it makes any further difference if Lynx allows it to be saved in  .lynxrc ,
> to which no-one has yet given a rational answer.

I'll say it again: store it in .lynxrc, and then,
when lynx starts up, throw up a special screen
that says in HUGE letters that you have this ficticious
browser-name, and ASK whether he/she wants to KEEP it
for THIS session, and make him respond with
either n for no or YES (three chars) for yes.

That should satisfy everyone.