lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.2 report

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.2 report
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:29:10 +0100 (BST)

> Hey -- if you do that (switch to ^\), then be sure
> to TYPE OUT that that is how to kill the program,
> and do the type-out at every seen ^C.

I'm not suggesting changing to ^\ (it should already work, unless it is
explicitly disabled).  I am suggesting that ^C should have the normal
Unix semantics of returning to interactive command level and shouldn't
be confused with the signal used to abandon a failing program which is
normally ^\ on Unix.

Just checked - ^\ does have the desired effect on 2.7.2.

    -rw-r--r--    1 david    users       7409 Nov 30 22:15 [18]agm.ps
-- press space for next page --
  Arrow keys: Up and Down to move. Right to follow a link; Left to go back.
  C)reate  D)ownload  E)dit  F)ull menu  M)odify  R)emove  T)ag  U)pload
Quit (core dumped)
djwhome:~$ ls -l core
-rw-------   1 david    users      684032 Mar 29 13:19 core

Note that ^\ probably won't clean up temporary files.  It does produce a core
file, which in my opinion is what you should get if you abort an interactive
program to the shell prompt.  ^C doesn't dump core, as it is intended to cancel
a user mistake, or abandon long output.

NB I hope that Lynx doesn't have ^C hard coded; it should be using the
stty intr character, which is as likely to be DEL as ^C in common useage.
For people using different Unix systems it is confusing enough that
there should be this variation, but, if a program arbitrarily switches
it would be even more confusing.  ^\ can vary, but generally doesn't.
All of these things are Unix parameter not Lynx paramters, so, at most,
Lynx should only report on the Unix settings.